What is a wireless router? What is the best wireless router? What to look for in a wireless router?
Are very important questions to ask yourself before buying.
You want to make your life simpler, easier, and more enjoyable using the best wireless routers? Yes, you must agree with me that wireless router play a very important role in our daily life environment.
But there is an alarming story that Wi-Fi Signals can cause cancer in kids, but Scientists Say Wi-Fi Signals Won’t Give Your Kids Cancer.
Looking for routers from the market can be quite challenging, and it can be a big relief if you can have some sort of guide to help decide. Well, look no further! This guide will help you determine the best Wifi Router to buy. However, you need to know the standards to look out for in Wireless Routers, the best gaming keyboards with the best gaming mouse.
What is a Wireless Router or What is a Wifi Router?
A Wireless Router solves your connectivity issues by making it possible for you to share your internet connection with multiple devices. The main components include:
- Router which directs or manages the outflow of Data Packets from your network to other users on your network,
- Network Switch which connects multiple Wifi devices to the wired devices via Ethernet cables and
- Wireless Access Point also known as the wireless AP which is the main station that transmits and receives signals
Before going into more details, you can check the Useful Facts About How Wi-Fi Works.
What is a Standard WiFi?
Wifi is a trademark owned by Wifi Alliance and it was originally the IEEE 802.11x standard but in recent time, Wifi is associated with other 802.11 standards such as the 802.11ac, + dual-band and tri-band. Wifi is a form of wireless technology that uses radio technology for providing high-speed LAN and internet connections. Therefore a standard Wifi can be any of the IEEE standards.
ASUS RT-AC88U is the Best Wireless Router 2018 to buy.
Features To Look For In A Standard Wireless Router
Now let’s dive in and take a look at what your Standard Wireless Router must have to be considered for purchase:
- Unique Local IP address: For any connected device, a Wireless Router should give it a unique local IP which is not visible on the internet. This provides added security against hacking.
- Connection without cable: You should be able to move around any part of your home and still remain connected without long cable.
- External Hard Drive Support: this feature allows you to store and backup your drives, giving you room for expansion.
- DNLA support: for more control and flexibility, you can control the audio/video distribution over your network. It can also be used to manage file sharing permission of the Hard Drive on your network
- Other notable features include Network Polarization, Backup servers, Shared printing with USB connectivity, as well as parental control
What are the best Wireless Routers?
Now let’s dive in and take a look at a couple of the best Wireless Routers that you can buy. Selection was done based on the features they have and also the durability and quality of connection they provide. Buying the right wireless router will take your tablet, phone, and other connected gadgets to the next level of performance.
|Wireless Routers||Weight||LAN Ports||Wireless Compatibility|
|Asus RT-AC88U |
|2.6 pounds||8||802.11 b/g/n|
|Netgear Nighthawk R8000||4.69 pounds||5||802.11 a/c|
|D-Link DIR 890L||2.5 pounds||4||802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Asus RT-AC3200||4 pounds||4||802.11 a/b/g/n|
|D-Link DIR-880L||1.4 pounds||4||802.11 a/b/g/n|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000||3.45 pounds||4||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Linksys WRT1900 AC||1.8 pounds||4||802.11 b/g/n|
|Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station||2.1 pounds||3||802.11 b/g/n|
|TP-Link Archer C7||1.9 pounds||4||802.11 ac|
|Amped Wireless ATHENA||2.6 pounds||4||801.11 ac|
|ASUS RT-AC5300||3.2 pounds||4||802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8||7.5 pounds||7||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac |
- 1 Asus RT-AC88U – Best Router for WiFi
- 2 Netgear Nighthawk R8000 – Best Router for Gaming
- 3 D-Link DIR 890L – Best WiFi Router for Long Range
- 4 Asus RT-AC3200 – Wireless Gigabit Router (Best Wireless AC Router)
- 5 D-Link DIR 880L – Best WiFi Router for Home
- 6 NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 – Best Router under $200
- 7 Linksys WRT1900 AC – Best WiFi Wireless Router
- 8 Apple AirPort Extreme – Speedy Home Wireless Router
- 9 TP-Link Archer C7 – Best Cheap Router (Best Router Under $100)
- 10 Amped Wireless ATHENA – High Power Wi-Fi router
- 11 ASUS RT-AC5300 – Game Faster, Farther and Safer
- 12 Netgear AC5300 – Best for Power Users (Tri-Band WiFi Router)
- 13 Conclusion
If you’re looking for good Wifi routers 2018, the Asus RT-AC88U is no doubt your best bet. Design-wise, the wireless router offers a stylish sleek look, which should be familiar if you’ve used an Asus product in the past. The router is no doubt appealingly with its complete black construction with red accents along the antennas. The Asus brand has been known in the past for its high reputation in the line of gaming hardware.
Features of the Asus RT-AC88U
The Asus RT-AC88U is a router that boasts of
- 1024-QAM technology,
- 80% faster 5 GHz at up to 2100 Mbps,
- 66% faster 2.4 GHz at up to 1000 Mbps,
- 33% greater 2.4 GHz coverage with a 4-transmit,
- 4-receive (4T4R) antenna design –
Both Wi-Fi range and signal stability have been improved dramatically with the ability to reach even the farthest stretches of your home. It has the widest coverage giving you up to 5000 square feet.
Installation, Configuration and Performance of the Asus RT-AC88U
The web interface of the Asus RT-AC88U makes it easy to install. Once connected to your PC and powered on, the web interface launches automatically and gives you the option for configuration of the router. Configuration can be done via the wizard or manually. It has a powerful 1.4 GHz dual-core processor, and a faster USB data transfers which allows you enjoy up to over 100 MB/s speed and the router download/upload speed (WAN-LAN throughput)of up to 1.8 Gbps no doubt makes it one of the best Wifi routers to buy.
MU-MIMO: Asus RT-AC88U
The ASUS RT-AC88U is also equipped with the latest 4×4 802.11ac MU-MIMO technology and an expansive connectivity options, which exclusively has 8 x Gigabit LAN ports for up to eight Ethernet-compatible devices to connect simultaneously – backed by ASUS-exclusive AiProtection powered by Trend Micro. The eight gigabit LAN ports are a unique feature of the RT-AC88U. Which, thus, makes it perfect for gaming PCs, set-top boxes or anything else that needs an unwavering gigabit connection. You can even enable link aggregation and combine the 2 teaming ports to achieve up to 2 Gbps transfer speeds, ideal for NAS. The dual-band RT-AC88U delivers the speed you crave and the security you need. It has a combined data rate of 3167 Mbps with whole-home extended coverage and a Smart Connect; it automatically chooses the best band available for you, and ensures fast, stable connectivity for all your Wi-Fi devices. The 1.4 GHz dual-core processor is backed by 512 MB of memory, and the RT-AC88U definitely has plenty of horsepower to efficiently balance its dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks, eight Gigabit Ethernet ports with 2Gbps link aggregation capability and USB 3.0 and 2.0 storage/networking functionality. The ASUSWRT User Interface – which gives you easy access to both the 3-step web-based installation process and a wealth of robust advanced options. It is compatibility with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, and Mac OS.
The Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 is yet another Wireless router worth considering. If you’ve ever thought of finding a solution that will help you connect numerous devices, then you should consider buying the Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6. I know for certain, important factors internet users consider before getting a wireless router are speed and range. The Netgear-R8000 no doubt offers the fastest speed and ultimate range. It possess a 3.2Gbps combined Wi-Fi speed for uninterrupted streaming, a Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi – Up to 600+1300+1300Mbps at gigabit speeds, a 2 USB 2.0 ports along with a USB 3.0 port for fast data transmission. It has ultimate Wi-Fi coverage throughout very large homes, an implicit & explicit beamforming+ which focuses Wi-Fi signals & delivers stronger connections for all your mobile devices, boosts speed, reliability and range of connections for 2.4 and 5GHz; a simultaneous Dual Band – Reduces interference for better connections, and a DYNAMIC QoS to deliver bandwidth prioritization by application and device – which also optimizes your Internet speed for gaming and streaming. That means more range and reliability for your mobile devices, and thus, one of the best range wireless router.
Features of the Netgear-R8000
- Tri-Band Wi-Fi – which delivers more Wi-Fi to more devices. It also connects slower and faster devices in separate network and load balancing to ensure both 5GHz networks are utilized.
- Six high performance antennas and powerful amplifiers – which deliver maximum range throughout your home.
Best Router for Gaming: Netgear-R8000
- 1GHz dual core processor with three offload processors coupled with 128MB of flash memory and 256MB RAM to boost performance and deliver lag-free gaming.
- One WAN port and a 4 LAN ports.
- Smart Connect – to intelligently select best Wi-Fi for every device.
- 3.0 USB port – which delivers high-speed, and storage-ready access
- Free ReadySHARE Vault app provides automatic continuous/scheduled backup for Windows PCs directly to connected USB storage devices.
- Netgear Genie app with remote access – to provide easy installation and personal dashboard to easily connect, monitor, control & repair your home network from a PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad or Android device. It also makes any printer AirPrint-compatible, and provides an ultra-fast file transfer across devices in your home network.
- Wireless-type: 802.11A/C, 5.8GHz Radio-Frequency, 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Compatibility: Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, and Linux.
Design-wise, it’s basically an enlarged-R7000 with the major difference being possession of a six-collapsible antennas you can fold for compactness compactness. You will, however, need to open the antennas for maximum signal reception.
The D-Link DIR-890L is a model you might have seen before. It has gained popularity due to its unique design. Rather than look like a wireless router, the DIR-890 looks like a sci-fi car. The shiny-apple red-colored device boasts of six adjustable high-performance antennas which gives it the appearance of a beast ready to launch an attack. It is perhaps one of the most stylish-looking wireless routers you might have encountered.
Features of D-Link DIR-890L
The device is, however, not just good looking, it boasts of some amazing features such as
- A 1GHz dual core processor as its heart with 256MB of DRAM and 128MB of NAND memory which gives you powerful wired and wireless speeds and a more powerful router, with advanced Smart Connect to allocate the best possible band for maximal Wi-Fi performance.
- The device which is like three wireless routers also comes packed with speeds of up to 3.2Gbps, a dual core processor, an AC3200 Tri-Band speeds (one 2.4GHz and two 5GHz) which allows you to enjoy an ultimate Wi-Fi performance, an advanced AC Smart Beam technology to track your connected devices for enhanced Wi-Fi speed and range throughout your home.
- Intelligent Quality of Service (QoS) with traffic prioritization and optimization to deliver seamless performance for your applications, and a six high-performance external antennas for maximum range.
- The DIR-890L allows you to enjoy a jaw-dropping speed up to 3200Mbps – the 2.4GHz wireless band offers speeds up to 600Mbps and the two separate 5GHz wireless bands deliver speeds up to 1,300Mbps that all operate at the same time to support more connected Wi-Fi devices to your high speed home network and a 4K/HD video and online gaming simultaneously with 3 x 3 data. Definitely, one of the best wireless router for gaming.
Best WiFi Router for Gaming: D-Link DIR-890L
- The 5GHz Band supports 802.11 A/C wireless while the 2.4GHz Band supports 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless with a 5.8 GHz Radio Frequency.
- Security-wise, it also boasts of advanced security features like the WPA/WPA2 encryption for a safe home network.
- You will also get to enjoy the luxury of 5 ports (4 for LAN and 1 for WAN) on the back side with one 2.0 USB port and one 3.0 USB port on front area, and a compatibility with a host of operating systems such as Windows and Mac.
The DIR-890L no doubt delivers premium performance for today’s most demanding tasks: HD streaming, gaming, and multiple device usage. The new intuitive user interface allows for a really easy installation and network management from your mobile devices or desktop, and the smarter bandwidth distributes traffic using band steering technology for optimal Wi-Fi performance. You also get to enjoy a web-console feature for monitoring and easy set-up. From the homepage, you can view connected devices, your IP address, and Internet Status. The perfect combination of performance and ease of use.
When you talk of getting the best wireless routers, the Asus RT-AC3200 is no doubt the best wifi router to buy right now. Along with the Netgear X6, and D-Link Dir-890, the Asus RT-AC3200 completes the list of the best tri-band routers. The port scene has 4 LAN ports and one WAN port 4 gigabit Ethernet ports – which has set a LAN speed records by utilizing a hardware NAT which removes the bottleneck between the internet and your home network, enabling 2-5 times faster WAN-to-LAN performance vs. traditional software-based NAT; and a 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports for up to 10-times faster data transfer to USB storage devices, printer sharing, and 3G/4G dongle support.
Features of the Asus RT-AC3200
- The huge classy greyish-black angular aggressive-design, has six detachable antennas.
- An intelligent 802.11ac tri-band Wi-Fi featuring a tri-band smart connect – an incredible new feature that automatically selects the fastest band for all devices individually, based on their demands and capabilities; it then maximizes the performance of each and every wireless device- and a two 5GHz bands and one 2GHz band.
- The three-transmit three-receive (3T3R3) antenna design, both Wi-Fi range, dramatically improve signal stability and also enables it to reach the farthest stretches of your home. It also has an AiRadar beam-forming to further focus Wi-Fi signals on your devices, making your Wi-Fi faster, clearer and stronger.
- The RT-AC3200 also comes with an increase band size of its dual-band Wi-Fi chip, and a paired Broadcom BCM4709 dual-core 1GHz with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 128MB flash storage.
- Some other features are AiProtection with Trend MicroTM for complete network security, Asus AiCloud 2.0, Asus router app, and ASUSWRT graphical user interface.
Best Wireless AC Router: Asus RT-AC3200
- The AiProtection provides multi-stage protection against online threats, from vulnerability protection – that is detects any malware or virus at runtime before it reaches your computer- to malicious site blocking to prevent already-infected devices from transmitting personal data. It also keeps your digital playground safe and sound. The protection with Trend Micro carries out a triple-strength total network security, plus robust parental controls and privacy protection.
- The Asus router app makes it much easier and more intuitive to manage your Asus router, right from initial setup to real-time network traffic monitoring to managing security settings and connected devices.
- The RT-AC3200 allows every device to work at full speed for lag-free online gaming, silky-smooth 4K/HD video streaming, files sharing for large files and effortless downloading.
- The device also include user-friendly and robust web interface, a built-in VPN server, the ability to connect to multiple internet sources at the same time and some excellent network monitoring features.
- The web-interface are also adaptive QoS – which can both be automatically and manually operated. The adaptive QoS ensures bandwidth prioritization in the categories of surfing, gaming, streaming etc.
Next on our list is the D-Link DIR-880L. This is what I will call the younger but excellent sibling of the DIR-890L. Though, there are quite some little changes in this but it still has some excellent features. This is one of the best wireless routers for home. The design is just what you would expect from the average D-Link routers. However, unlike the traditional cylindrical design, this comes with the square form factor. Also, unlike the DIR-890L, it’s a dual-band router. These are perhaps the main difference between the two siblings, but, have no doubts the DIR-880L has established itself as one of the best dual-band wireless router. The advanced AC beam-forming dramatically enhances wireless signal strength and throughput and track your connected devices for enhanced Wi-Fi speed and range. It also improves coverage by directing bandwidth to your devices as you move around your home. You can stream HD video, surf the web, Skype your friends and play online games from wherever you are so you’ll always get the best experience. It shouldn’t be out of line to say it’s one of the best wireless router for gaming. As regards coverage, be rest assured the DIR-880L will not disappoint. The three detachable antennas and the three power amplifiers of the DIR-880L increases performance and maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home to provide a signal strength effective as up to approximately 60 meters. Thus, you get to enjoy an amazing coverage experience with the DIR-880L. Its antennas are, however, technically different when compared to most 5bBi dual-band.
What is a router and What does a router do?
A router is a networking device that allows multiple computers to join to the same network. It takes information from the modem and deliver it to your computer.
Router directs traffic on the internet. It builds a map of the network which either static routing or dynamic routing protocols.
Features of the D-Link DIR-880L
Feature-wise, you definitely can’t write it off. It boasts of amazingly unique features.
- It comes with three amplifiers and a three detachable antennas that can be easily removed and replaced with ones that can provide you a higher Wi-Fi range.
Best WiFi Router for Home: D-Link DIR-880L
- It also has an advanced AC1900 Wi-Fi dual-band (a 600N Mbps 802.11n speed over the 2.4GHz+1300AC Mbps speed) performance for a ridiculously fast home network.
- Two USB ports – one USB 2.0 port, and one USB 3.0 port to perfectly host a storage device and to connect drives and printers for sharing; 4 gigabit WAN ports and 1 LAN port for high speed wired connection.
- A power button, a reset button, and advanced AC beam-forming, an advanced Quality of Service (QoS) – although not as advanced when compared with other routers, you can only assign priority to connected devices.
- The Smart Connect technology which efficiently selects the fastest Wi-Fi for every device while the Smarter Bandwidth Distributes traffic using band steering technology for optimal Wi-Fi, and with the remote access and management you can manage your network from your smartphone and tablet.
- It has a technology called Turbo QAM, which is what the 2.4GHz band uses to achieve the 600Mbps. However, for maximum utilization of this technology you will need a Turbo QAM compatible wireless receiver.
- Other features you get to enjoy are Guest Networking, Firewall, Web filter, port forwarding, web-interface D-Link cloud, Quick VPN support, RTSP and FAT32 or NTFS-formatted hard drive as a shared storage, smarter bandwidth and remote access
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 one of the high-end wireless routers. You will also get to enjoy lots of features, such as advanced QoS, Time machine + DLNA support with no apparent issue etc. For anyone who wants enjoy a hitch-free wireless performance. So why should you get the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Wireless router? The router takes full advantage of its external antennas by using technologies like Beam-forming which directs wireless signals to the client (smartphones, tablets and laptops, PCs etc.). It also carries out an automatic signal management to keep Wi-Fi at its optimal strength. The router is designed to support multiple Wi-Fi device connections for highest quality, extend Wi-Fi coverage, reduces dead spots, boosts signal strength, speed, reliability, range and performance for devices for a more reliable experience, even at distant connections.The Nighthawk R700 also comes with Easy Install and a Netgear genie app. The Easy Install allows for easier installation to upgrade to AC Wi-Fi with your service provider gateway and setup for iPad, tablets, smartphones and computers, while with the Netgear genie app installation is almost effortless and you can easily monitor, connect, control and repair your home network from a PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android devices.
Features of the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000
It has a long inexhaustible list of features which you will get to enjoy. However, we will mention some.
- It’s got a 1GHz dual-core processor with 256MB of RAM and 128MB of flash storage.
- A dual-band AC1900 wireless, for wireless radios, so you can get speed as high as 1300Mbps on wireless AC and up to 600Mbps on wireless N – a total of 1900Mbps.
- It has two USB ports – a USB 2.0 port on which you can host a printer and print wirelessly from any device and a USB 3.0 port through which you can add external storage to your network.
- A high-powered amplifiers with three external antennas which deliver superior wireless signal and stability.
- Push N Connect – easy push button Wi-Fi connections (WPS). Wi-Fi and Power on/off to provide convenient power saving.
- ReadySHARE Printer which wirelessly access and share a USB printer coupled with a ReadySHARE Vault – a free software for automatic PC backup to a connected USB hard drive.
- DLNA which enables you find and paly your media on DLNA TVs and game consoles.
- iTunes compatible to play your USB-stored music using Airplay or Apple Remote.
- Ultra-fast file transfer across devices in your home network.
- A remote access to manage your network away from home, view the network map, block Wi-Fi devices, set up guest Wi-Fi and manage Parental Controls – anytime, anywhere.
- Robust parental controls for website filtering for all your connected devices, Guest Network Access to separate and secure access for guests, Open Source Support to download open source firmware from the website.
- Personal FTP service to customize free URL to create FTP server, a VPN support – now with OpenVPN Connect app on iOS and Android to allow remote secure access in the home network.
- It is gigabit wired with an advanced QoS to automatically recognize and prioritize bandwidth streaming music/videos and lag-free gaming, and a smooth experience for everyone.
The Linksys WRT1900 AC comes equipped with all standard wireless features, which means you get the best performance for all your devices. It is ideal for anyone who wants to enjoy a high-end hitch-free wireless performance without complexity. It comes with a retro blue-black design, wall-mountable back and 4 detachable sideways antennas.
Features of the Linksys WRT1900 AC
The WRT1900 AC is a device of amazingly beautiful features.
- A 1.6GHz dual-core processor – designed for a lightning-fast throughput data speeds and processing allowing multiple users to simultaneously stream movies, game online and transfer files without lagging.
- It has 512 MB of DDR3 RAM for improved storage capacity and 128 flash memory, which will give you enough space to load a third-party firmware and improve data transfer speeds so large files transfer more quickly.
- A professional-grade WRT1900ACS Dual wireless band Gigabit which offers speeds up to N600 (2GHz) + AC1300 Mbps (5GHz) for media intensive applications, and an high-performance antenna configuration engineered to enhance dual-band communication to provide Wi-Fi coverage in multi-storey buildings while improving signal strength in small offices.
- A 3.0 USB –Which delivers enhanced performance – and a 2.0 USB, both of which enable you to share content via an external storage device with ultra-fast data transfer speeds.
- An eSATA which also accommodates a 2.0 USB to deliver optimal data transfer speeds from external SATA drives.
- An Open Source-Ready which allows users to get unprecedented access to customize their router and when used with OpenWRT the router can be modified to suit a particular application.
- An exclusive Linksys Smart Wi-Fi with Network Map software – which offers a visual map of the home network – for total home Wi-Fi control anywhere, anytime.
Best WiFi Wireless Router: Linksys WRT1900 AC
- An app which can be used to get real-time information about your home Wi-Fi, send guests Wi-Fi passwords, prioritize your devices, and set parental controls. The app is, however, easily setup by simply connecting your router. Just download the free Smart Wi-Fi App to any compatible iOS or Android device.
- The Wireless Repeater Mode and Wireless Bridge Mode is another feature users of the Linksys WRT1900 AC get to enjoy. With this you enjoy a more robust Wi-Fi network and a more powerful wireless signal.
- You have the choice to extend the Wi-Fi signal for both of the router’s dual bands with Wireless Repeater Mode, or just one of the bands with Wireless Bridge Mode. Either option effectively turns the WRT1900AC into a powerful range extender or wireless bridge, adding range and speed to wired and wireless connections on your network.
- Prioritizing of devices or websites, gain parental control over content, monitor network activity.
- Ability to turn Wi-Fi access on or off and create select password, protected guest networks, Quick Start Guide, CD-ROM with Documentation, Ethernet Cable, Power Adapter and Power Cord, Tweaking QoS, UPnP and DLNA, Open-firmware support and an enhanced NAS-functionality.
Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station is an excellently designed Wireless router. Well it’s an Apple’s product and I’m sure you know what to expect with Apple – quality. This router was designed with two types of people in mind – the first are those that are heavily invested in Apple’s ecosystem, while the others are those who wish to experience fast and stable performance with no issues. I know quite a few of you will be curious about what this has to offer, and some of you are definitely eager to see how it measures up to others. Well let’s find out, shall we? Let’s start off with the look and design. Designed by our very own Apple in California, the extreme base station is a vertical tube-shaped all white-colored sleek device. Even without mentioning you know you can trust Apple with their design. The vertical design is, however, to increase the Wi-Fi performance and reduce desk space. The device is, however, dual-banded but with the latest Wi-Fi standards.
Features of the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station
- An ultrafast 802.11ac Wi-Fi which provides a stable and speedy Wi-Fi with data rates up to 1.3Gbps, and double the channel bandwidth with 80MHz-wide channels providing more room for data to flow faster.
- The Wi-Fi is compatible with devices using the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac specifications.
- There are also 6 internal antennas (three for 2GHz and three for 5GHz), located at the top, to spit out faster and more powerful connections, and with the Beam-forming technology you get a more stable and reliable wireless speed irrespective of location.
Speedy Home Wireless Router: Apple AirPort Extreme
The sixth generation Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (6th Generation) also features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi support to transmit at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at one go. You also get the thrill of easy connectivity; and irrespective of the band wireless devices in use, they’ll automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest possible performance.
- This device also provides you wireless speeds of up to 1300 Mbps on wireless AC and up to 450 Mbps on wireless N, and with the 5GHz you can carry out heavy tasks like streaming, gaming etc. while the 2GHz is responsible for lighter tasks like web surfing etc.
- It, however, only boasts of only one 2.0 USB port, but 3 gigabit LAN ports – for wired connections with devices e.g. MacBook Pro
- 1 gigabit WAN port for internet source, and AC-Power in, so you do not have to hide any ugly power bricks.
- Other main features you get to enjoy are IPv6, print serving, file sharing, guest networking (but only on 2GHz) wireless printing, traffic Prioritization, VPN server, a built-in power supply and Airport Utility Software among others.
If all you’ve ever wanted is a low-cost router or the best budget wireless router with an amazing performance ratio then the TP-Link Archer C7 is your best bet. A device that cost below $90. However, being a low-cost device hasn’t robbed it of quality performances or unique features. It not only boosts of an amazing combined speed of 1.75Gbps, it’s also stylish and incredible at any and every task thrown at it. With regards to the design, it’s definitely something you will love. It is a black-colored device with three visible antennas at the back, which is not just for fashion but to of course boost performance. So even as a best budget wireless router, it is also one of the best wireless routers for gaming.
Features of the TP-Link Archer C7
Now let’s get down to business, the device is not totally bad in terms of features considering it’s a low-cost wireless router. It in fact boasts of amazingly-beautiful features.
- A dual-band device -2.4GHz and 5GHz to allow more devices to be connected to your home network at once.
- A total bandwidth of 1.75Gbps which includes 450Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps at 5GHz. It also supports the 802.11ac wireless AC – the next generation of Wi-Fi,
- The device can be connected to extra devices – which is capable of creating a high-speed Wi-Fi across your home. With its extra bandwidth, the Archer C7 handles demanding activities such as online gaming, watching HD movies, or sharing large files across your home without slowing-down or interruption.
- The Single Core Processor device possess 6 dual-band antennas for stronger coverage – 3-internal and 3-external which covers your home with a strong Wi-Fi, each creating a separate signal that can focus in different directions to keep all your devices connected. Thus, you enjoy what you love from your favorite spot – bed, kitchen or couch – without hassle.
TP-Link Archer C7 is the Best Router Under 100
- You also get to enjoy a 4-gigabit Ethernet ports and 1-gigabit WAN port – which can connect devices directly to the router, thus, creating a faster and more reliable connection.
- It has two 2.0 USB ports – to easily connect external hard drive, share files and media wirelessly with all connected devices.
- Can connect with a printer locally with networked devices or remotely via FTP server.
- Another unique feature you get to enjoy is a powerful CPU which balances the demands of your devices to keep their connections fast and uninterrupted. So carryout whatever action it is you want to, the powerful processor seamlessly manages each Wi-Fi band, every connection, and all of the router’s hardware and software.
- IP-based Bandwidth Control which makes it easier to manage the bandwidth of individual devices connected to your router.
- Easy one-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button.
- Easy Setup Assistance with multiple-language support to provide a quick and hassle-free installation process.
- Privacy, with Guest Network Access, to provide secure Wi-Fi access for guests sharing your network (home or office).
Other features you will get to enjoy include – Customizable QoS for more Bandwidth which lets you assign bandwidth to the devices you use most, keeping them running at peak performance. There’s also an Intuitive Mobile Interface to help you easily setup and manage your Wi-Fi through the free TP-LINK Tether app, available for both Android and iOS. Tether’s simple layout lets you quickly access all your Wi-Fi settings on your phone or tablet.
Alright, next on the list is the Amped Wireless Athena – definitely not the Greek goddess I’m referring to. Although not so expensive, it is a device built for network enthusiasts. It may not have all the jewels found in some of the other routers we’ve reviewed, but be informed that it comes with ample features that should be sufficient for both the average consumer and folks looking something more.
Features of the Amped Wireless Athena
- The ATHENA is built with a 1.4GHz Qualcomm dual-core processor with 512MB DDR3 memory.
- It has 4 simultaneous Wi-Fi stream to handle heavy traffic with ease.
- It boasts of an unmatched AC2600 Wi-Fi which flaunts a Wi-Fi speed up to 2.53Gbps – up to 800Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1733Mbps on 5GHz. Thus, you get to enjoy a lag-free gaming, an HD and 4K media streaming, and an unlimited download on multiple devices all at once without even buffering.
- The device also has two USB ports – one 3.0 USB port and one 2.0 USB port – for your file sharing as well as four (4) additional gigabit ports for network devices.
- The device is also crammed with 16 powerful amplifiers – 4 2.4GHz and 4 5GHz high power amplifiers with 4 2.2GHz and 5GHz signal reception amplifiers.
- It has 4 high gain 5dBi dual band antennas to delight you with an unmatched high power Wi-Fi performance, and to provide unprecedented coverage, speed, performance, and reliability for the most demanding networks even if many devices are connected.
- Advanced security features like coverage control, website blocking and SPI Firewall.
- Wi-Fi analytics app to help you optimize your network.
Furthermore, there are still more features you get to enjoy, such as – the Beam forming technology with which the 4-antennas partner to provide you with faster and most stable connection.
High Power Wi-Fi router: Amped Wireless Athena
Through the unique Amped Wireless High Power Technology, the Athena is able to push signals through walls and obstacles to reach areas where ordinarily standard routers simply cannot reach. By so doing, you will be able to roam freely with your mobile devices and eliminate whatever might be a Wi-Fi dead spot in your home. There’s no doubt the Amped Wireless Athena is one of the best wireless routers 2018, even though it may be lacking in some of the features that are readily available in competitor routers. Herewith, hard core network enthusiast might deter from making it a number one must get router, but then the router has proven itself beyond reasonable doubt that it’s one of the best wireless routers and can keep things in order.
Our next pick is the Asus RT-AC5300. For the record, we all know Asus to be a quality powerhouse. They are good routers for gaming.
The Asus has, in fact, achieved the highest scores in 6 study factors:
- Wi-Fi range,
- Speed of upload or file download,
- Easy connection restoration, a variety of features, as well as the “Highest Customer Satisfaction with Wireless Routers in the U.S.”
What is the best router for gaming? Is the question that you need to ask yourself before buying the best internet router for gaming.
But, don’t expect the Asus RT-AC5300 to be short of the topmost quality. In terms of the design, the router offers an appealing stylish sleek look with a complete black coloration and reddish accents around the edge, with 8 detachable antennas around it which sort of gives it an awkward but likable look.
Features of the Asus RT-AC5300
- The RT-AC5300 is a tri-band device – single 2.4GHz and dual 5GHz networks – powered by 1.4GHz dual-core processor backed with 512MB of memory
- It comes equipped with the latest Wireless type 802.11ac/a/b/g/n, 5.8GHz Radio Frequency, and the latest 4×4 802.11ac MU-MIMO technology to provide you with the speed you crave.
Best Gaming Router: ASUS RT-AC5300
- It has a maximum output up to 5334Mbps with the security you need to enable multi-compatible client connection at each client’s respective maximum speed simultaneously.
- It also ensures a whole-home extended coverage of up to 5,000 sq. ft.
- The device is, as well, equipped two USB ports – one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 – for storage and networking functionality, 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- The RT-AC5300, however, comes with plenty of horsepower to ably balance and steady its tri-band, a 4 Gigabit Ethernet port with 2Gbps link aggregation capability, and its two USB ports.
- The router also has a built in client access to WTFast Gamers Private Network (GPN) – a private route-optimized servers – to deliver and consistently ensure low and stable ping times, thus, ensuring that you enjoy a lag-free gaming.
- Furthermore, the RT-AC5300 boasts of -Tri-band Smart Connect to ensure fast and stable connectivity for your Wi-Fi devices
- It also manages traffic by delivering consistent bandwidths when it interchanges devices with dynamism between the 2.4GHz band and the dual 5GHz bands based on speed, load and signal strength, making sure all devices enjoys optimized bandwidth and coverage.
- Asus-exclusive AiProtection powered by Trend Micro to back the MU-MIMO technology, and also provide multi stage vulnerability protection
- Prevention of sensitive data and against online threats, and malicious site blocking to prevent already infected devices from transmitting personal data. In fact, with AiProtection you can trust your digital playground is safe and sound.
The RT-AC5300 is definitely of one of the best wireless router for gaming. The RT-AC5300 also boasts of a four transmit four receive antenna design, which are both for Wi-Fi range and to drastically improve signal stability to reach even the farthest stretches of your home.
The last – but certainly not the least, in fact one of the best wireless routers – on our list for best wireless router 2018, is this sophisticated router, from another router powerhouse, the Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8. Why you should own one? You might ask. First it’s a Netgear product, which means you can trust the quality. Secondly, it’s a high-end wireless router with amazing features that will leave your mouth agape and get your head clouded and confused. The only way, you will be able to get out of this is to get one soonest. This router is suitable for anyone who wishes to enjoy a high-end hitch-free wireless performance, and experience the fastest data speed (up to 5.3Gbps), and multi data streams. It is an all-black designed router, with 4-antennas at the back and bluish band at the top of the antennas.
Features of the Netgear AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band WiFi Router
The Nighthawk X8 is jam-packed with amazingly features some of which are highlighted below:
- A powerful 1.4GHz dual-core processor to separate processes and prioritize high performance Wi-Fi connections
- Tri-band Wi-Fi and the Quad Stream – to get you maximum combined, and the fastest, Wi-Fi speeds of up to 5.3Gbps for uninterrupted streaming – up to 1,000Mbps on the 2.4GHz 1024 QAM and 2,166 Mbps on the 5GHz 11ac 1024 QAM.
- The Quad Stream also deliver up to four data streams per Wi-Fi band, which maximizes the connection speed.
- Four external active antennas and 4 internal antennas technology for amplifying and maximizing the Wi-Fi range. Netgear has also specifically moved the Wi-Fi amplifiers from their usual location on the motherboard to the top of antennas for a cleaner and stronger reception of signal from mobile devices.
- The X8 also has 6 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports to allow connection of more wired devices, with two of the Gigabit Ethernet ports for multi-port aggregation for faster file transfer, and to double the connection speed to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device for 4K/HD streaming or quick backup of multi Wi-Fi devices concurrently.
Netgear AC5300 is the Best for Power Users.
- The X8 also boasts of the Smart Connect Technology – which intelligently designate the slower and faster devices and selects the fastest Wi-Fi band for every device for best wireless speeds.
- A Dynamic Quality of Service is also present to intelligently prioritize bandwidth by application and device, and also prioritize gaming and video streaming.
- The Nighthawk is also MU-MIMO capable. With the MU-MIMO technology your Wi-Fi network can deliver a faster throughput to every MU-MIMO connected device – that means faster downloads, and smoother streaming for your devices and simultaneous streaming of data to multi devices.
- Another unique feature is the Netgear genie which makes installation almost effortless. The Genie, as well, allows you to easily monitor, connect and control your home network from a PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
One interesting thing to note about the Tri-band Wi-Fi technology of the Nighthawk X8 is that it is a breakthrough Tri-Band Wi-Fi technology which delivers more Wi-Fi to more devices, and optimizes Wi-Fi performance by intelligently allocating every device to the fastest Wi-Fi band possible and by doing so allows devices to connect at their supreme speed.
Now you have an array of routers to choose from, but I’m sure you would love to know our best choice! Well, the best approach is to determine what you want in a router and then match it with anyone above that has that feature(s). For example our best for long range and home use are the D-Link DIR 890L and 880L series because of their wider coverage. However, if you want speed, the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station is the best choice. To improve your Wi-Fi to get as stronger signal and faster speeds on your phones, tablets, laptops and all other gadgets, you need to upgrade your wireless router. So decide on your requirement and buy the best wireless router to suit your needs today! Most importantly the questions to these questions have been answered to choose the best wireless router: What to look for in a Wireless Router? What is a wireless router? What is the best wireless router?